It’s the end of January, which means more cold and yuck! If you follow my blog posts, you know that I am not a winter person. In fact, I recently shared some tips on how to beat the winter blah’s. I think it’s also of value to consider what things you can do in the winter that may seem like an unfit indulgence during the warmer weather seasons. Here are ten things that can help you relax, enhance your productivity and feed your brain during the winter season.
- Binge-watch your favorite shows. Grab your app of choice and watch away! I love just about anything on Netflix (some of my faves: Orange is the New Black, Dead to Me, Shameless, Schitt’s Creek and The Ranch) and Amazon Prime Video (Brittany Runs A Marathon and Instant Family are entertaining movies)!
- Sleep. There’s no better time to catch up on those ZZZ’s than during the depths of old man winter. So, take a short nap or sleep in the extra 30 minutes. Just be sure to shut Netflix off before it’s too late! 😉
- Clean out your closet. There’s something cleansing about gutting the closet. My rule of thumb: if you haven’t worn it in a year, you’re not going to, so give it away!
- Shop online. With a clean closet, you now know what you may need to supplement your wardrobe. You can’t beat the convenience of shopping for some new threads online. 👗 If you’re not a fan of shopping (even online), check out Stitchfix.
- Hit the gym. Lace up those Nikes and head to the gym for a sweat. Getting those endorphins going is a helpful boost when it’s too cold for the great outdoors.
- Read a good book. I used to be an avid reader, but I took a five-year hiatus because I was ‘busy.’ I recently got back in the groove and I realize what I was missing! If you need a recommendation to jump start your book collection, I recommend Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, The Help by Kathryn Stockett and What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty.
- Have a cocktail. Reward yourself for the workout and enjoy a cocktail while you curl up with a good book! It’s the simple things worth savoring! 🍸
- Take a class. It’s a great time to learn new skills or just expand your mind, in general. One of my personal goals for the year is to focus on my health. To help with this effort, I’m taking a free course called the “The Science of Well-Being.” And, forget bundling up to brace the cold – the course is offered online!
- Plan your vacation. There’s power in anticipation – and now is the best time to research all of the options! So, go ahead and plan a getaway to someplace tropical! 🌴
- Give back. While we might be dreading the remaining winter months, there are people who have a lot more to worry about than our slight inconvenience. Giving back in the smallest ways can not only pay it forward, but it can also boost our well-being.
While all of these things can be helpful to keep you busy during the cold winter months, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the importance of spending quality time with those you love. In fact, half of these tips can be enjoyed with a loved one! 💕
Only 57 days until Spring! 🌱